Thursday, October 2, 2008

I can can can U can 2?

Karen said I couldn't call this our first canning project, since we really did can our first year being married. We got those peaches from mom and canned all of those. But it is our first time getting the fruit ourselves. (Okay, we didn't really grow it ourselves, but we found it and picked it ourselves.) Karen has a co-worker that has a 10-acre plot of land and likes to grow lots of fruits and veggies. A couple weeks ago she gave us some tomatoes and we canned those, but we didn't take pictures. However, just last Saturday we went over to her house to pick some apples. We picked about 3 bushels before Karen realized that all of the apples we were picking were for us. So we started canning them on Monday. We did 2 batches (14 quarts) of pie filling.

Karen cutting the apples.


The apples and the cores.


The finished product.


Me showing off the finished product. (Karen said I was too tall to stand up for the picture.)


We also wanted to know if the food storage extended to us as well, so we decided to fit into our cupboard.


Of course Karen fit better than I did. She could even shut the door while she was in there.

2 comments:

  1. you guys are so silly! People don't go in cabinets, food and dishes do! I love you so much!

    Love,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't stay in there too long, cause love don't keep (a fresh helping is required pretty much every day - emphasizing fresh and pretty).
    Good job on your canning! When we come to visit, may we have apple pie using your canned filling? Hopefully it will keep until we can afford to come :)
    love you guys! (rather - your majesties)

    ReplyDelete