Friday, May 14, 2010

Customs

So, on the plane ride over to Japan, of course they gave me the customs forms that I would need to enter the country, right?  Well, of course, I don't have a ball point pen on me, all I have is a pencil, so I just go ahead and use that, thinking they won't care.  So I get to the customs desk, the guy says I need to fill it out in pen.  So I go back to the table where they have the forms and fill it out in pen.  Then I go back to the counter and the guy says I haven't filled everything in (and he's right), so I go back to the table and start filling the rest in.  By this time, they had a worker there directing people to different windows, so when I was done, she looked at my paper and said I still hadn't filled everything out.  Well, apparently, you're supposed to have an address in Japan at which you plan to be staying.  I'm like "Dude, I don't have any address.  I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of guy.  I have no clue where I'm staying tonight.  How am I supposed to write down an address?"  Luckily, I had a friend's name and his cell phone number and apparently that sufficed.  Anyway, the whole point was that I looked like a moron going to the counter and back again ten times.  The funny thing is that this isn't my first time--eight years ago I went through customs.  But that time I didn't have to go back and fix anything.  I actually did it right the first time.  Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment