Probably a random thing to blog about in general, but I was just thinking about what names I like. Karen always told me that I got to name the computers and she got to name the babies because the names I'd always give were Rupert, Gunther, and Gwendolyn. Of course, anyone that knows me well would know that I was just joking about those all along.
Anyway, I thought I'd just take a minute to talk about names that I like and why. First, I'll mention what brought this on. I was on Facebook today and I saw the name Jeanette. Not a big fan of that particular spelling, but I think that's a pretty name. When I saw it I automatically thought of the song Bring a Torch, Jeanette Isabella, especially the Mormon Tabernacle Choir version. It's a very pretty song.
Now I have to say that my favorite name for a boy would be Robert. I have known many Roberts in my life and each one of them has been a very upstanding and admirable person. I haven't known any Roberts that I couldn't admire and respect with my whole heart. I have an uncle named Robert (but he goes by Bob). He's held many leadership positions in the church and in general is an upstanding, respectable citizen and awesome uncle. I have a brother-in-law named Robert and he's extremely hard-working, friendly, and wise. The custodian at the school where Karen worked is named Robert and he's one of the neatest people I've ever met--very friendly, happy, and helpful.
Jordan is another name that I like because of the different Jordans I have known in my life. I had a roommate named Jordan and he and I almost instantly became good friends. He was someone I could confide in and he always understood where I was coming from--I mean to say that he understands people and social things very well. He's a people person. I have known several other Jordans and they're all very genuine, caring people.
Of course, my favorite girl name is Karen. I don't think I will ever name my own daughter Karen--having a Karen for a wife is enough for me. It is a name of dignity and grace. I have an aunt Karen--in fact, she's my uncle Bob's wife--and she's a wonderful lady. I just got unofficially adopted into a family out here in Tennessee and the mom's name is Karen. She's a neat woman too. In fact, that whole family is fun to be around and I'm sure it has a lot to do with the love and compassion that their mom has shown them all throughout their lives.
My second favorite girl name is Elizabeth. That won't surprise anyone that knows that's Karen's middle name. But aside from that fact, it's a royal and elegant name. There's an Elizabeth in my ward and she plays the piano better than just about anyone I've ever met. I went to her senior recital just over a week ago and it was amazing. My oldest brother and his wife just had a baby girl last year and they named her Elizabeth in honor of Karen. She's such a pretty little girl, too. Elizabeth is a good name for her.
Other names that I like, in no particular order are Alex (only for a boy), Jeffrey, Scott, Jennifer, Susan, Melissa, Jared, and Steven.
I love the name Elizabeth. That's going to be our first daughter's middle name. Her first name will be Gwenevere...I really like royalty names too!!! Good choices on names, Keith!!
ReplyDeleteIs it OK if we name our little girl Elizabeth as well? Elizabeth Ann Crookston is now due August 7th. (Ironically, if she had been a boy, she would have been Samuel Robert).
ReplyDeleteKeith that is so sweet that you like the name Robert. It's such an honor that my Robert has made you like the name. All your names are really great.
ReplyDelete